Senior Controls Engineer
Dallas, TX, USA
With 250% growth in the last 5 years, this systems integration firm has been in business for 40 years and have 30+ USA office locations! The key to their longevity and success is due to the depth of their experienced, talented engineers. For several years they have been recognized by Control Engineering as one of the Top Ten System Integrator Giants.
Reasons to work for this company:
-Opportunity to get involved with challenging projects across many different industries
-Comprehensive medical/dental insurance
-401K match and Employee Stock Ownership Plan
-They have a great reputation in the industry and with their customers
-Utilizing PLCs, HMI, SCADA, Instrumentation and Process Controls you will work on challenging projects and provide team leadership in delivering automation systems in a wide variety of industries.
What you will do:
- You will deliver innovative automation solutions and design standards either self-directedly or as a leader of a team. You must have the ability to conceptualize, detail, and implement control systems for industrial processes and machinery that meet our customer’s requirements. This involves the development of a control system architecture, selecting the components to be used, detailing schematic diagrams and system documentation, programming controllers (PLC, DCS, RTU), programming the process visualization (HMI/SCADA), developing databases for archiving/displaying historical system data and implementing/commissioning the control system at the client’s facility.
- Utilize controller programming languages such as Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text, and others to achieve the desired results is required. Ideally you will have knowledge of standard programming languages such as VBA, .NET, and SQL for the development of HMI/SCADA systems.
- For larger systems, experience with industrial networking used to connect control system components and instrumentation is preferred. The Controls Engineer would design, detail, and implement a variety of fiber, wired, and wireless systems using industrial protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Modbus, etc.)
- This position oftentimes requires the following project management responsibilities: developing project execution plans, work breakdown structures and associated budgets, task prioritization and scheduling, task ordering, time tracking and reporting, financial tracking and reporting, early problem identification, conflict management/resolution, leading and supporting a team, and attending project status meetings. Also includes overseeing daily operations and activities of a project(s) up to $1M. This position is often responsible for ensuring the overall profitability of the project
- To be successful you must have a diverse engineering skillset with the ability to work independently. You will need the willingness to act as technical lead on projects and guide lower-level engineers and technicians. Could also act as Project Manager on smaller projects.
- 8+ years of experience as a Controls Engineer
- Experience in PLC-5 to ControlLogix conversions
- In-depth understanding of PLC hardware/software platforms such as Rockwell Automation, Siemens, and Modicon
- In-depth understanding of HMI/SCADA hardware/software platforms such as Servers, VM’s, Networks, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk and Plant Pax, Aveva System Platform and Edge, Inductive Automation Ignition, GE iFIX, Siemens Winn CC and TI Portal.
- Understanding of DCS hardware/software platforms such as Emerson DeltaV or similar
- Understanding of Batch/Recipes, OEE, MES, and ERP systems.
- Experience in industries such as Life Sciences, Building Automation, Food and Beverage, and Water Treatment
- Experience in the design of electrical schematics, including power distribution under 480VAC, control panels, and associated NEC references desired
- Experience with AutoCAD is desired
- Experience leading a team of engineers/technicians to provide control system solutions
- Experience mentoring less experienced engineers
- Professional references, preferably one from each of the following: a subordinate, a peer, and a manager
- Ability to travel up to 25%
To comply with some state laws, the annual base salary range for this position has been provided. The range given is broad and should be considered as a guideline only. Our client will consider a candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, the salaries of current employees in similar roles, and other factors when extending an offer.