Senior Control Engineer
Baltimore, MD, USA
$125k - $145k
Senior Control Engineer
Our client is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, our client owns and operates six sugar refineries and in the European Union, the company owns and operates several other sugar refineries.
The Sr. Control Engineer is responsible for maintaining instrumentation and control systems in support of plant production, quality, GMP and safety goals. Design and implement changes to the instrumentation and control systems in the plant.
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the day-to-day work for the control engineers and contractors; keeping priorities in line with key stakeholders within the refinery.
- Lead new control systems and control system modifications including working to ISA standards, process functional safety standards and hazardous area electrical installation standards.
- Maintain and enhance control and instrumentation, hardware and software whilst ensuring refinery operations perform to the optimum level. Ensures compliance with established company and regulatory guidelines and procedures to provide high quality service.
- Provide specialist instrumentation knowledge to the refinery for capital projects and manage the replacement of legacy systems when required.
- Create and share best practice amongst the controls engineer group, ensuring that the teams at Baltimore are using ‘one system’
- Ensure knowledge transfer within the controls team so individual expertise and knowledge is shared between team members.
- Participates in the day-to-day operations of the refinery and implementation of long term projects as well as CAPEX initiatives.
- Works to control costs and develop strategies to reduce costs and improve refinery reliability.
- Evaluate changes/upgrades to process control systems and make recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Contribute to the definition of standards for the development and maintenance of process control systems within the refinery and within the ASR Group, Implementing and maintaining such standards.
- Lead the management of the health of the control system to minimize downtime including performing routine maintenance and installation of operating system updates.
- Assist the packing control engineer in supporting the control systems on a number of packing lines, including providing cover during his absence.
- Provide on call out support in line with the company procedure including providing backup to the other on call engineers.
- Ability to anticipate problems before they occur to eliminate or mitigate issues
- Repair and recover control systems after a failure.
- 5+ years controls and instrumentation experience required.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Resource management.
- Excellent understanding of a range of process control tools and techniques, preferably including Allen Bradley Control Logix and Wonderware System Platform (ASR preferred).
- Support of legacy control systems such as APACS, PLC 5, and Control Logix.
- Project management experience
- Excellent understanding of a range of process control tools and techniques, but specifically Allen Bradley and Wonderware ArchestraA.
- Good knowledge of food processing / FMCG operations.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Demonstrated knowledge of one or more of the following: Wonderware System Platform & InTouch, Allen Bradley PLC systems (PLC5, SLC500, and ControlLogix) and associated I/O systems, Allen Bradley VFDs / Soft Starters / Servos, Allen Bradley Centerline MCCs, process instrumentation (analog valves & transmitters).
- Microsoft Windows and Server operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written to work effectively with peers, plant operating staff, and other engineering resources.
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, develop solutions, and quickly implement their strategy to minimize system failures.
- Strong project and time management skills and demonstrated ability to complete projects in a timely manner within budget.
- Effective leader of internal project team efforts and site activities of contractors on assigned projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Controls or Electrical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited college/university with related coursework required.
Note: To comply with state laws, the annual base salary range for this position has been provided as a guideline. The final salary offer will be determined based on factors such as work experience, education/training, key skills, and other considerations.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. Hiring company is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.