Mechanical Design Engineer
Chaska, MN, USA
Work as a Mechanical Design Engineer designing process custom piping equipment. Your work stays fresh because each treatment and system design is different. This position requires someone who enjoys being challenged and can apply knowledge and resourcefulness to each design application.
Why work here?
- Very stable company in business for over 30 years
- This hybrid role offers work-from-home 3 days a week flexibility
- Very generous PTO
- Great benefits package including 401K match and 70% of Healthcare premiums paid by the Company
- Develop skid-mounted capital equipment by studying customer requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials; and soliciting observations from operators.
- Mechanical and methodical know-how in the design of structural frame-supported piping systems.
- Selects and sizes mechanical components based on process design criteria.
- Works with engineers and clients to accurately depict the desired design characteristics.
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
- Produces drawings (detailed and outline designs) using standard drafting procedures.
- Interfaces with outside vendors for component selection; manufacturing and assembly instructions.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished product and system capabilities; and confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Specifies system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications following testing results.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
- Provides engineering support by answering questions and requests from inside or outside the organization.
- Seeks outside resources to assist with implementing operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and seek technical support/information.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or two to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with 3D AutoCAD.
- Experience working directly with vendors in component sizing and selection.
- Ability to perform calculations for stress, deflection, pipe size, pipe pressure drop, pump, and valve sizing.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, etc.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, etc.
- 3D AutoCAD Design software; Internet software; Excel Spreadsheet software and Word, Adobe Word Processing software.
- BS in Mechanical or Structural Engineering.
- Experience in a similar drafting/design role.
- Experience specifying system components for operation and monitoring of filtration systems or similar technologies/equipment.
- Process piping design experience.
- SolidWorks experience.
- inFlow Inventory software experience