Houston, TX, USA
The Houston, TX office of a large engineering firm is looking for a talented mid-level Control Engineer. With over 40 successful years in business and having over 35 facilities across the USA they have been named on the ENR Top 500 Design Firm list and have continued to climb in rank over the years. In addition, they have been named as a certified integrator by many vendors as they do not focus on just one platform, but their engineers will work with the customer to choose the best platform for each application. With over 500 employees nationwide they have become one of the largest and established firms in the United States.
Reasons to work for this company:
- Opportunity to get involved with challenging projects across many different industries
- Hybrid work option and flex schedules
- They offer comprehensive medical/dental insurance
- Profit Sharing/401K match and Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- They have a great reputation in the industry and with their customers
You will be responsible for engineering project requirements involving PLC programming, HMI/SCADA programming, information technology (IT), operation technology (OT), network design, IT/OT equipment, procurement installation and wiring, check-out support, and commissioning.
You will be doing the following:
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major project
- Collaborate on standards, techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Develops or designs with guidance
- Consistently follows best practices
- Leads design reviews
- Has attained a level of expertise in one or more technical areas
- Designs a complete project, system, component, or process
- Prepares complete project documents
- Identifies potential roadblocks to completing tasks efficiently
- Routinely tests own work or work of associate engineers in area of technical expertise
To succeed in this role you should have the following:
- Experienced with at least one PLC and/or DCS hardware/software platform and able to configure / program without assistance
- Has knowledge of and can read all of the standard programming languages such as Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured text and Function Block Diagram
- Has been involved with the design process including specification generation/review, control panel design review, PLC configuration, software development, checkout and startup
- Experience with several HMI/SCADA hardware/software platforms
- Experience with at least one standard programming language such as VBA, NET
- Ability to read a P&ID and be able to understand what devices are shown
- Ability to make some general conclusions from the P&ID and end up with an understanding of what the equipment is supposed to do
- Ability to correlate mechanical design documents / sequence of ops with the P&ID
- Ability to tune a PID loop without assistance
- Understanding of the S88 model and how it can be implemented
- Experience with designing basic un-managed networks to connect industrial equipment together
- Experience with software configuration to enable communications between equipment
- Ability to maintain/modify a virtualized environment
- Experience in design of electrical schematics, including power distribution 480VAC and under
- Prepare electrical, instrumentation, and PLC control panel specifications for purchase of materials and equipment and/or the solicitations of labor
- BS in Electrical/Controls Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Computer Science or equivalent practical work experience is required.
- 2+ years experience as a Control Engineer
Ability to travel up to 25%.
To comply with some state laws, the annual base salary range for this position has been provided. The range given is broad and should be considered as a guideline only. Our client will consider a candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, the salaries of current employees in similar roles, and other factors when extending an offer.